Thursday, 22 January 2009

10 Grooming Commandments

Yours truly was reading Men's Health which contains a juxtapose of articles from grooming, to fitness to fashion. One article really stood out. It asked women to set how far men should go in terms of personal grooming.


Welcome to the metrosexual's uber grooming must-haves.

1. Keep it Real
Unless going on TV or stage, a man doesn't need makeup - not even a little bit (like concealer) because we know you got it on.
[Check. I may be cursed with dark rings from my student days, but using concealer to enhance my looks in the day would be too sissy for any guy. No where's my eye cream?]

2. Brush, Floss and use Mouthwash
Twice a day. There are no short cuts to oral hygiene.
[Check. Thankfully the girls are not asking for 3 times a day, haha]

3. Clean out your Earwax
Either DIY with a cotton bud or have it professionally cleaned. Having flakes coming out you ear cavity is grotesque.
[Check. After a swim, alone in my room, with my finger. The ear wax are removed without any fuss.]

4. Keep your B.O. in check
That "man" smell only works in controlled doses. Wash yourself thoroughly in the shower and use a mild-scented deodorant.
[Check. Deodorant and Eau de Toilette are god-sent items I swear. I just cannot believe any guy who can survive without any deodorant. Gawd. And while you can only smell fresh for up to 3 hours after a shower, the trusty cologne lasts you the entire day. Yes, invest in a good one!]

5. Trim your Armpits
The hair shouldn't be sticking out when you have your arms by your sides.
[Check. I have to admit I only started doing this when I began visiting the gym regularly a few years back. Trust me, you wouldn't want others to see that Amazon under your arms.]

6. Keep your Nails Neat and Short
A Phua Chu Kang pinky nail is a definite "NO!".
[Check. That's a must.]

7. Clip your Nose Hair.
It's very distracting (not to mention, disgusting) to see the tips of cockroach feelers sticking out of your nostrils.
[Check. I tend to remove nostril hair that are sticking out when I observe my face in the mirror at night. I agree that it looks hideous.]

8. Leave your Eyebrows Alone.
Men look better with natural eyebrows. You only need to do a bit of landscaping if you have a unibrow or terribly untidy eyebrows. Just don't make them too neat or too "perfect".
[Partial Check. I HAVE to trim my thick eyebrows because they grow like weeds and may just meet at my forehead. I kid not!]

9. Visit your Barber Once a Month.
Short hair needs to be trimmed regularly to stay neat and in shape.
[Check. Make it every 20 days. JT will look so much like an untidy hedge that no amount of gel can save the hair.]

10. Don't Fuss, Don't Overdo.
We appreciate the effort, but a guy is unmanly and unconscionable if he fret about bad hair days and even run late for appointments just to get his hair right.
[Check. I spend an average of 1 min applying gel on my hair every morning. Anything longer and I will be late for work!]

Result: 9.5 out of 10. *claps claps for JT*

But the above list seems too skimpy. Don't you think? What about cleanse/tone/moisturize, washing your undies and socks daily, shaving, facial? Why only 10? I think there are more than 20. Gosh, I must be mixing around with guys that are obssessed with grooming. Hmmm..

No comments: