Friday, 11 July 2008

Life is Plastic, It's Fantastic


If you find this line familiar, you are probably approaching the big "THREE O", and had suffered in your teenage years irritating Ah Beng (the Asian version of ghetto boy) music by the Swedish music group Aqua (if you still remember that song "Barbie Girl").

That aside, I am finally watching TV again, with compliments to the new drama series on Channel U <一切完美>. It stars some of my favourite actors and actresses like Thomas Ong and Michelle Chia. In my personal opinion, they are what I call - natural actors ie playing the role in a simple and non-dramatic manner that they become pretty much the character they are potraying. Hmm, Hugh Grant would be a good example as well.

Anyway, this show is really saving the local television scene from utter despair by proving that there are still good scripts around. From a dramatic perspective, it deals with issues like infidelity, broken family relationships, and of course going under the knife for vanity.

I have once considered going for a minor surgery to correct an eyelid condition. According to a friend, it is a common hereditary condition and should be corrected, else I will always look "tired" and look a bit odd in pictures. There is another camp of friends that says that I should be contented with God's creation in me. Anyway, I am not vain enough to correct that minor condition, so I am just leaving it alone. For the time being.

But I don't think I will resort to liposuction, facial realignment, or the most bizzare of all plastic surgery - reproductive organ reconstruction. They are way too extensive renovations for Justin. In the mean time, I should hit the gym more often to keep Georgie and Porgie in check.

This show also somehow reminds me of one of my favourite books - "Foreign Bodies" by local writer Tan Hwee Hwee. I admit I am partial towards Singaporean authors because I feel they are able to inject a "Uniquely Singaporean" (Haha, I don't believe I actually use this term!) perspective to social issues. Hwee Hwee tried to address Man's hurt and imperfections that are often more than just skin-deep. A powerful sentence that I can still remember rather well: -

"We all have stories buried in our past... these are our real stories, the stories only we know... these make us who we are... we can never remove them from our lives.. these are the stories of our foreign bodies"

Indeed, our life experiences make us what we are today. There are the good and the bad chapters at various stages in our life. I just pray that by faith, the blood of Jesus can deliver us from the unhappiness or regrets.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"But I don't think I will resort to liposuction, boobies enlargement, facial realignment," -skalikat

that's right bro, steer clear from boob jobs for yourself. moobs ain't that hot yet.