Friday, 13 April 2007

盛夏光年 Eternal Summer


"No One Wishes To Be Lonely, Neither Do We" - 我想 每個人生來就不應該孤獨

I received an invitation last night to watch the movie Eternal Summer 盛夏光年. It is a Taiwanese production revolving 2 buddies - Shou Heng (Shane) and Zheng Xing (Jonathan), who come a long way from primary school after they were paired off as motivational buddies by their form teacher. A pretty gal named Hui Xing (Carrie) complicated the friendship when they were at high school. It seems that Jonathan has treated Shane more than just a buddy, and it was painful when he realised Shou Heng was seeing Hui Xing behind his back.


The three of them struggled with love and friendship – a line that can seem so clearly divided but is not. And despite Jonathan, Shane, and Carrie's best efforts to keep their personal feelings secret, the truth eventually emerges, forcing all three to view their relationships in an entirely new light.


The director managed to control the pace of the show by unfolding the various scenes slowly and filling with awkward yet genuine moments (getting drunk at parties, burning midnight oil at your bed). The many parallels and subtle contrast between scenes revealed many unspoken lines. It also helps that the film captured the exciting colors of rural Taiwan, and its soundtrack (by MayDay) suited the film's gentle tone. Laced with fine acting by the cast, the film exudes an almost tangible warmth.


The cast of this movie includes Bryant Chang, Joseph Chang and Kate Yeung (hot babe!). The movie has won 4 nominations at the Golden Horses, with Bryant winning the Best New Actor award. Worth a visit to the theatres for this.

I walked out of the theatre with mixed feelings because it was so real and personal. My best friend and I grew up from Secondary School, and we had been through many highs and lows. A heart to heart talk when we were 18 seemed to change many things ( I can never be his best man, neither will I ever be his childrens' godpa). Yes, I was affected for quite awhile (just like Shou Heng). Everyone has secrets, and he was brave enough to tell me. For all that is, I still love J for the person I knew when we were both dorky and totally ugly (*haha, u are looking at the upgraded version of us now*).
A best friend is hard to come by.

No comments: