Wednesday, 26 August 2009

FF or RW

The birthday season is starting again. I swear I don't have much problem thinking what presents to get for my own parents because I will always wrap them an angpow. Recently PS's mum also celebrated her birthday, and since I am not yet her lawful son-in-law, it is odd to wrap her an angpow. So, with due respect to formalities, I took PS's suggestion and went to search for a cassette voice recorder.

You are so wrong if you think you can find cassette tape recorders in hypermarts or the applicance megastores in town, because sadly, they only stock mp3 gadgets nowadays. My feet naturally brought me to the retail shops at trusty good old-fashioned HDB neighbourhoods and non-REIT shopping centers near my office, which miraculously have stood relatively unchanged for the past 30 years. As I picked up a Sony Walkman cassette recorder at the counter and pressed those "clicky" FF (fast forward) or RW (rewind) buttons, fond memories of my childhood just trickled in..

My Kor and I received our first Sony Walkman when I was 9. We were so bloody thrilled because the nothing came close to a Sony Walkman (Aiwa or Sanyo are just like Creative or Aigo - pretty second class brands). We soon were sucked into the world of music charts, pop magazines and cassette tapes. And boy was it cool to be seen carrying a Walkman in your hand or plugging into a set of Sony headphones while going to school or church.

Strangely, some things hardly change today. The Apple Ipod had become the Walkman of the 21st century. The craze is unbelievable, as its massive brand movement successfully established the Ipod as a fashion statement, and revolutionised the way people listen to music and download their content.

One thing for sure, I would have never thought that the Walkman would one day become such a forgotten electrical gadget.


"遇见未来" - JS

No comments: